Happy New Decade from Holdens
9th January 2020
A very Happy New Year from everyone at Holdens. Many people take the opportunity of a new year to get their affairs in order. It is a really good time to think about making a Will or make sure that your current Will is up to date and adequately reflects your circumstances.
It is believed that over half of adults do not have a Will but there are many benefits of making a Will, here are just a few:
- If you do not make a Will then the Law will decide who gets your assets (Intestacy) and this may not be in line with your wishes.
- If you are not married and you do not have a Will then your partner will not be entitled to your estate passing under the rules of Intestacy. The law doesn't currently recognise co-habitees.
- A Will allows you to leave specific gifts or cash sums to certain individuals or charity
- You can appoint people who you would like to look after your infant children under your Will (guardians)
- You can appoint people to deal with your estate on your death. Called the Executors, they will make decisions about your estate and look after money held for underage Beneficiaries.
- You can increase the age that infant Beneficiaries inherit, if you do not have a Will then they will inherit at 18.
- It is possible to use your Will to help make your estate tax efficient and therefore reduce the Inheritance Tax burden on your death.
It is really important to get the right legal advice from qualified professionals. Holdens, based on Castle Hill, has a very experienced team of lawyers and can assist you in all areas of law. Jennifer Larton is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, the internationally recognised leading professional organisation in this area of law. If you need legal advice, do not hesitate to contact Jennifer or give one of our team a call on 01524 32484 or email;
Jennifer.email@example.com (BID Management Board Member)
Back to News Archive